BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Big Boy Bed

A few weeks ago we moved Maddox into a big boy bed. He did so well!! He never woke up, or cried, or anything-it was like he was just ready! Or so we thought. One day he realized that he could actually get out of bed without our approval, and he was lovin' it. For a few days in a row, come two or three in the morning, we would hear his little chubby bare feet running across the tile towards our bedroom. He would stand by the side of the bed and either poke our face or yell "Mommy, Daddy!" Generally Marco and I would pretend to be asleep, hoping the other would jump up and volunteer to put him back to bed. When that didn't happen, we resolved to just take turns. We would get up, put him back in bed and tell him to go to sleep, only to repeat the process a few hours later. This went on for a few days until Marco decided that he had endured enough. He went to the store and bought one of the babyproof doorknob covers that made it so Maddox couldn't open his bedroom door. At first I was completely against it, it just seemed so cruel! The first night he did wake up around his regular time and Marco went down and explained that he wasn't allowed out of bed until morning, he laid him back down and that was that! He hasn't tried getting out of bed since then! So I'll give Marco this one, it was a dang good idea.

5 comments:

The Lilly's said...

I love that you guys pretend to be asleep hoping the other will get up. I do that myself quite often, although Steve probably is on to me!

Adam, Jaci, Grant, Grace and Amelia said...

Nice job, Marco! We had to put a baby gate up so Grant wouldn't come out of his room. Kym, I didn't know your brother has Down syndrome. If you ever have insight...please share!

Jill said...

That is a good idea. I was chuckling at the chubby feet running across the tile floor comment. I can totally picture that in my mind!

angspitzer said...

That's so funny. I can't say I'm excited for that experience haha. But I saw these really cool things online, they are day and night lights. You set the "moon" at night so your kids know when they are supposed to sleep and then you can set the "sun" light when it's ok for them to get up. I thought it was kind of a cool idea :)

The Buckley's said...

We just moved Will into his big boy bed last week. He loves to nap in it but flat our refuses to sleep through the night in it. He gets the saddest little face and we cave after about 30 seconds. Guess we'll have to get tough soon! Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind!